Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) had a breakthrough when it launched the iPad, but over the years the buzz around iPad has died and sales have started to decline. But the question is whether can an iPad replace a Mac or for that matter even a conventional PC.  That was the topic of discussion of Jean-Louis Gassée, Former president of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)’s product division, on CNBC recently.

Apple AAPL iPad Air Tablet

According to Gassée it’s not a question of whether tablets can compete with PCs or not, but rather a division of labor between them. He pointed out that Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL)’s CEO, Tim Cook in an interview with the Wall Street Journal said that he does almost 80% of his work on the Mac, which according to him means that Mr. Cook does the other 20% of his work on some other machine and hence justifies that there is a division of labor.

“Well, if you look at what we call productivity task, such as preparing a complicated document. It’s easier to do this on a Mac than it is today on an iPad. For example, if you buy an accessory like a keyboard from my friends at Logitech, it’s nice, but there is no cursor, there is no notion of windows, there is no notion of tabbing being through things. So, it’s not the easiest thing to do on an iPad, it’s much easier to do on a Mac, which is why I said for Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) the sweet spot of its business is the combination of its users who use both an iPad and a Mac, just like Tim Cook, it’s not the largest segment of the market, but definitely the most profitable,” Gassée said.

As of June 30, 2014, Billionaire investor Carl Icahn‘s Icahn Capital LP owns 52,760,848 shares of Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL), making him one of the largest shareholders of the company.

Disclosure: None

Suggested Articles:

Best Colleges to Find A Husband

Best Fast Food Franchises to Purchase